Grit+Tonic.com Relay Triathlon
300m swim | 6.5km bike | 2km run
Start Time: 6.30am
About the Race
Super Sports Events invites you to be part of the first ever, most exciting triathlon the city has seen!
Whether you’re an experienced triathlete or looking at taking up the sport for the first time, this is the event for you! Do it as an Individual Team of 2 or invite some friends who can swim or run or bike and you have the making of a relay team – its as easy as that! Super Sprint distance will make for a fast paced race with plenty of transitions and an awesome vibe in the race village!
Distances: Swim 300m, cycle 6.5km, Run 2km
There are 2 relay options to choose from:
The INDIVIDUAL RELAY is more for the seasoned triathlete and consists of a team of 2 athletes who individually have to complete the full swim-bike-run distance before tagging their team mate to go do the same – and then you have to do it all over again! So you get to do 2 x super sprint distance triathlons in 1 race! Atheletes have to keep the same order of racing: A tags B, B tags A, A tags B, B finishes.
The TEAM RELAY is a much more social approach to triathlon where teams of 2/3 athletes decide which team mate does a specific leg of the race. So someone does the swim, someone else the bike and another the run – and then you have to do it all over again! So each person gets to do their specific leg of the race twice! Team mates are not allowed to swap legs after the first round – if you signed up to do the swim then you have to do the swim for both legs and same for other team mates.
Event Co Sponsors
- Self-social distancing.
- Masks are optional.
- Self-service water stations out on course and at the finish line.
- Sanitize your hands regularly at designated stations.
Where to enter
- Premier Online is Super Sports’ preferred registration partner.
Entry Fee & Refund Policy
- Individual Relay: 2 persons (Mixed | Male | Female ): AED300 per person
- Team Relay: 2/3 persons (Mixed | Male | Female ): AED200 per person
- Discounts are offered for families of 3 or more consisting of parents and children – aged 18 years and under. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the family discount code.
- There is NO on the day registration.
- Any participants canceling their participation after the closing date or if the race sells out or who is a “no-show” on the day of the race will not receive a refund.
- In the unfortunate event of the race having to have to be postponed/canceled due to COVID restrictions/weather/venue issues, the credit/refund policy of online entries through online entry providers will apply or you can have your entry carried over to any other Super Sports organized race.
Entry Fee Includes:
- Electronic Timing
- GRIT+TONIC.com shirt
- Finishers Medal
- Swim Cap
- Downloadable Certificate
- Fruits and Refreshments
Race Pack Collection
Race Day Collection
- Race Packs can only be collected from Race Check In on the morning of the race from 5am – 6.15am.
- You must have checked in and received your timing chip 30 minutes before your race start.
- Once you know your race number, proceed directly to the Race Pack collection desk and collect your Race Pack.
Check your Race Data
Please check that all your data which is printed on the label of the race pack envelope is correct. This includes your name, age category, gender, and distance. In the event of there being any errors, please let our registration staff know so we can change it for you, so you have the correct result when finishing the race.
What will be in your pack?
- Timing Chip
- Branded Shirt
- Race Bib
- Swim cap
IF YOU COMPETE WITH NO CHIP – YOU WILL RECEIVE NO TIME AND NO RESULT!
Race Day Program
Be checked in at least 30 minutes before the start of the race. There is NO on-the-day registration.
05h00 – 06h15 Race check In Opens, Transition Set Up, and Warm-Up. All competitors need to be checked in before 06h00 as roads leading to the start/finish area will be closed to ALL traffic as from this time.
06h15: Race Briefing and TRANSITION CLOSES
06h30: Rolling dry land swim start
09h30: Cut off time for any cyclists still out on the road or not left transition yet
09h30: TRANSITION OPENS
10h30: Official Race Cut Off Time
09h00: All categories
Please note, roads will only open at 09h30 once TRANSITION OPENS, after which you may leave the venue.
THERE IS NO BAG DROP!
Race Distances & Age Groups
There will be no age group categories for this event. Distances will be the same for everyone
- Individual Relay
- Male only
- Female only
- Team Relay
- Male only
- Female only
The INDIVIDUAL RELAY is more for the seasoned triathlete and consists of a team of 2 athletes who individually have to complete the full swim-bike-run distance before tagging their team-mate to go do the same – and then you have to do it all over again! So you get to do 2 x super sprint distance triathlons in 1 race! Athletes have to keep the same order of racing: A tags B, B tags A, A tags B, B finishes.
The TEAM RELAY is a much more social approach to triathlon where teams of 2/3 athletes decide which team-mate does a specific leg of the race. So someone does the swim, someone else the bike and another the run – and then you have to do it all over again! So each person gets to do their specific leg of the race twice! Team-mates are not allowed to swap legs after the first round – if you signed up to do the swim then you have to do the swim for both legs and same for other team-mates.
All team-mates may join their runner on their final stretch to the finish line lap in order to finish together and for your finish-line photo.
- All swimmers to wear swim caps supplied by sponsor out of respect for them sponsoring the race and also for identification and safety reasons.
- NO WETSUITS.
- The swim direction will be in a clockwise direction from the start.
- Distance: 1 x 300m lap.
- All swimmers will need to pass through the “GATE” in order to finish the swim leg.
- Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.
- Swimmers may use any stroke to propel themselves through the water and may tread water or float.
- A participant may stand on the bottom or rest by holding an inanimate object such as a buoy, boat, rope or floating object.
- A swimmer experiencing difficulty and in need of assistance must raise an arm overhead, pump it up and down and call or seek assistance.
- Swimmers who have received assistance whether voluntary or involuntary, must retire and withdraw from the remainder of the race, unless such assistance did not aid the swimmer in making forward progress.
- No swimmer shall return to the race if the official rendering assistance requests that the participant withdraws from the race or receive medical assistance.
- Bike direction will follow the normal traffic direction
- Distance: 1 x 6.5km lap
- Before exiting transition, your race number has to be facing away from your body and on the back side of your body, waist height.
- All participants shall wear a protective helmet, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- The helmet must be fastened before the participant first mounts the bicycle; at all times when the participant is on the bicycle and must not be unfastened until the participant has dismounted.
- Triathlon time trial bikes are allowed, as well as conventional road bikes and mountain bikes.
- No tandems, recumbent and fairings or any add-on devices designed exclusively to reduce resistance are allowed.
- Solid disc wheels are allowed.
- Any new, ‘unusual’ or prototype equipment will be subject to a determination of legality by the Chief Race Referee.
- Athletes must be individually responsible for the repair and maintenance of their own bike. Assistance by anyone other than technical support officials will be grounds for disqualification. Each cyclist should be prepared to handle any possible malfunction.
- Technical support DOES NOT include the normal changing of flat tyres. You may not receive a spare wheel if yours breaks.
- Athletes may walk with their bike, if necessary, but may not make progress on the bike course unaccompanied by their bicycle.
- All Athletes must mount and dismount in the marked zones at the transition area.
- Under no circumstances may a participant ride his/her bike inside the transition area.
- Absolutely NO DRAFTING of another bike or any other vehicle is allowed.
- The 10meter (X 1.5m) draft zone rule will apply.
- Athletes must ride in a single file on the far RIGHT side of the cycling course lane, except when passing another rider.
- All passing takes place on the left.
- A violation of the Drafting rule will result in Marshalls verbally informing you and showing you a “drafting warning” card immediately when cited during the race and your race number will then be written down to be compared with other Marshalls’ citings.
- 2 or more citings will result in a 3 minute penalty for each and every citing
- All passing takes place on the left.
- When you want to pass the cyclist ahead of you, you MUST move 1.5m to the LEFT before entering the 10meter Draft Zone.
- You have 15 seconds to get your front wheel in front of the front wheel of the athlete that you are overtaking.
- The athlete, just overtaken, then has 15 seconds to see to a 10m gap between him/her and the bike that just passed.
- Failure to do so is a drafting violation.
- Athletes must ride in a single file on the far RIGHT side of the cycling course lane, except when passing another rider.
- Should they ride on the left side of the road and not be in the process of following the Passing rule protocol (see paragraph above) they are blocking the cycling course for faster riders coming up from behind and they will be penalised for blocking.
- When in doubt as whether to move left or right when cyclists are approaching from behind, the best is to keep your course in a straight line and let the cyclist behind choose on which side to pass you.
- Never ride two or more abreast.
- You must have plugs in the ends of your handlebars.
- Running will be in a clockwise direction so all athletes need to stay on the left-hand side of the running track.
- Distance: 1 x 2km lap
- Before exiting transition, your race number has to be facing away from your body and on the front side of your body, waist height.
- Your upper body must be covered at all times on the run portion of the race.
- Shoes are compulsory.
- No form of locomotion other than running, walking or crawling is allowed.
- 1 x Water stations will be provided on the course.
- All participants will receive a Race Bib with their respective team number on it.
- Bring a Race Belt to attach your Race Bib too as this needs to be visible in different positions throughout the race and will save you time in not having to have to pin it in different positions during the bike and run legs.
- It would be advisable to buy these belts before race day and figure out how they work.
- Each team will receive one timing chip per team.
- This will be included in your Race Pack and to be worn on your LEFT ankle.
- Individual relay: when tagging your team-mate, hand the timing chip over to them.
- Team relay: At the end of your leg , pass the timing chip onto your team-mate before they start their leg.
- Once finished racing, chips will be collected from you at the exit of the finish area or if need be, handed back by you.
- Make sure the chip is fastened tightly so that it does not move or change position during the race. (TIP: If the velcro strap is not long / tight enough, use a safety pin to adjust the length to keep the strap / chip in place and tight on your leg)
- Your final time for the race will be taken when crossing under the finish arch after the run leg of the race.
- Split and finish times for all legs will be available.
05h00: Opens for Racking
06h15: Closes for Race Start
09h30: Opens for Departure
- ONLY participants will be allowed into the Bike Transition area.
- Please rack your bike on your designated number and lay your gear out as quickly as possible to avoid over crowding and then make your way to the beach to the Briefing Area.
- 6 bikes per rack – 3 bikes on either side of the rack with all other equipment neatly packed underneath your bike.
- Once the race has started, only participating athletes will be allowed into the Transition Area. This is to avoid over crowding, for safety reasons and to give everyone a fair chance to transition without extra people being in the way.
- No bags will be allowed to be left under your bike – only the equipment needed for each leg.
- If you do have extra bags etc., please leave them on the pavement perimeter near transition so once you finish the race you can easily access them by not actually entering the transition area.
TRANSITION FOR INDIVIDUAL RELAY
- Team Mate A – starts at respective start area and completes all 3 legs – swim, bike run
- Team Mate B – waits at swim start RUN-TO-SWIM board for their Team Mate A to finish their first run leg and then tag them to start their swim, bike run.
- Team Mate A then waits at swim start RUN-TO-SWIM board for their Team Mate B to finish their first run leg and then tag them to start their second swim, bike, run.
- Team Mate B then waits at swim start RUN-TO-SWIM board for their Team Mate A to finish their second run leg and then tag them to start their second swim, bike, run
- All Team Mates will need to “TAG” their partners at these respective points by handing over their teams timing chip in order for their team mate to start their leg of the race.
- All Team Mates will be allowed to cross the finish line at the same time for their finish line photo.
TRANSITION FOR TEAM RELAY
- SWIMMER– starts at respective start area and then once finished with the swim returns to the start area and waits at the RUN-TO-SWIM board for their runner to tag them to start second swim.
- CYCLIST – waits at the swim exit by the SWIM-TO-BIKE board and returns to this position once completing the first bike leg and waits for their swimmer to finish the second swim so they can start their second bike leg.
- RUNNER – waits at the exit of bike transition at the BIKE-TO-RUN board and returns to this position once completing the first run leg and waits for their cyclist to finish the second bike so they can start their second and final run leg.
- All relay teams will need to “TAG” their teammate at these respective points by handing over their teams timing chip in order for their team mate to start their leg of the race.
- All Relay Team members will be allowed to cross the finish line at the same time as the runner for their finish line photo, so swimmer and cyclist can join the runner at the start of the finish area.
- The Briefing Area will be on the beach to the left of the red carpet as you face the water.
- Only a brief explanation of the race will be done on the morning otherwise all information is in the Briefing document which will be emailed to you to go through thoroughly.
- Everyone to remain in the Briefing Area and only move to the Start Area when asked to do so.
Start Area / Procedure
- This will be situated on the left-hand side of the swim course when you facing the water from the beach
- All swimmers to line up on the red carpet in single file in order to start the race.
- Swimmers to self-seed themselves with faster swimmers in front and slower swimmers toward the back.
- Once the start siren goes – swimmers to stay on the red carpet and pass the timing devices which will record the start of your race. If you do not stay on the red carpet the timing devices will not register a start for you and you will be classified as a DNS – Did Not Start – so don’t jump the queue and stay on the red carpet
- Once you cross over the start mats your race and time will start.
- This race will be based on chip times meaning your race time will only start once you cross the timing mats and not when the start siren goes off.
End of Race Procedures
- When crossing the finish line, please keep moving through the finish chute and receive your finishers medal.
- Refreshments will be available close to the finish line
- Scan the QR codes in the Race Village to see your result.
- When crossing the finish line, please keep moving through the finish chute and then you will receive your finishers medal.
- All members of the team receive a finisher medal.
These will be supplied by the organisers and feature at 1 self-service stations on the Run course as well as one at the finish line.
No water stations will be available on the bike course.
Participants may bring their own beverages as long as they are consumed within the transition area.
TOILETS are available in the race village, next to transition.
AMBULANCE AND PARAMEDIC SERVICES will be on site and in the event of any athletes being in trouble, please inform the closest race marshal / lifeguard to call for assistance.
ON & OFF COURSE BIKE MECHANICS
- Pre-Race: VELO PRESTO mechanics will be available from the beginning of registration on race day to assist with any basic repairs and maintenance on a first-come first-served basis.
- VELO PRESTO will not be able to assemble bicycles or carry out any complex or time-consuming repairs e.g., hydraulic systems.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Please scan the QR codes in the Race Village to view your result once you have finished.
- Full results will be on the Super Sports website as soon as possible at www.supersportsuae.com – top right-hand corner – Race Results.
- You will find split times, overall placings, age category results, and a downloadable certificate.
09h00: Prize Giving
- If you did not collect your trophy or medal from us on Race Day, it will be available 5 days later for you to collect from Dawson Sports in Mercato Mall.
- Trophies and vouchers will be awarded to the top 3 male, female and mixed teams in both categories.
- When you see the cameramen, remember to give them a smile or a thumbs up, especially when you cross the finish line.
- Photos can be found on your results page by clicking on the CAMERA icon and then doing a bib or selfie search.
- Photos will be available 24 hours after the race has finished.
- All team-mates may join their runner on their final stretch to the finish line lap in order to finish together and for your finish-line photo.
Event Photo Albums
Directions to Mamzar
Park in parking bays before and after the Transition Area
DO NOT PARK IN THE BELOW AREAS OR YOU WILL RECEIVE A FINE:
– On any pavements.
– If you drive up the bus lane, that is for buses only.
– Private boat parking yard where the SLIPWAY is for boats only.
Race Numbers will be available 36 hours before Race Day so please check back then!